This is the newest festival to hit EPCOT Theme Park over the last several years. Typically they put on only 2 each year including the Flower and Garden Festival in the Spring and the Food and Wine Festival in the Fall. So why a Festival of Arts?
Well, it's pretty simple. They want to sell more booze. The two above mentioned festivals draw in so many people each year that they've decided to keep it going almost year round. We know this because they continually extend the number of days and weeks for the other two festivals. People love to drink and eat and these festivals are the best excuse!
So putting aside the business reasons for the new festival, we're actually pretty excited about what it will feature. From our understanding it's going to feature a lot of art in many different ways. Paintings, dance, music, and food. If you're going to be visiting during the weeks of Jan 13th to Feb 20th 2017, here's what you'll want to know:
1. It's only put on during the weekends during those weeks so Tuesday-Thursday will just be regular EPCOT. So if you want to avoid crowds visit during the weekdays, excluding Mondays.
2. They are going to have all sorts of fun activities to do and see including Broadway shows, artist meet and greets, food displays, living statues, workshops and seminars, and more. Some of these things will require an advanced sign-up so be sure to visit the Disney World website before you arrive.
3. The Broadway Shows are going to fill-up the fastest because they feature very prominent actors from the Disney Classics. Being performed at the America Gardens Theater, here are the shows:
- January 13-16 and 20-23
Ashley Brown & Josh Strickland perform songs from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Mary Poppins, Tarzan and The Little Mermaid.
- January 27-30 and February 3-6
Kerry Butler & Kevin Massey perform songs from Disney’s Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Newsies and Tarzan.
- February 10-13 and 17-20
Kissy Simmons & Alton Fitzgerald White perform songs from Disney’s Aida, Aladdin, The Lion King and The Little Mermaid.
The shows will be performed 3 times each at starting at 5:30pm. Be sure to arrive early!
4. We'll briefly mention dining packages...but they're never worth the price. They do offer them though.
5. There are kid events including scavenger hunts and workshops. Fun for the whole family!
This is the very first year of the festival so we would assume bigger crowds during the event dates. Of course you can expect to have fun and be treated to some really great art and food!